I will be giving a talk at the university of Maastricht : Incognito presents Ubuntu/GNU Linux When : Tuesday 30-09-08 15:30 Where : Bouillonstraat 8-10 : room 0.015 Everyone who lives in Maastricht is welcome to attend for free. Download the flyer What is Ubuntu ?
- An operating system
- GNU/Linux for human beings
- Humanity towards others
- Free as in Freedom (Free Software)
- Free as in no-cost (gratis)
- Every 6 months a new release
Roald Hopman, Ubuntu Member, will give a presentation about Ubuntu starting at 15:30. Topics will include but will not be limited to :
- What is Ubuntu ? (introduction to Ubuntu)
- Advantages, Disadvantages
- Ease of use
- Free Software
- practical stuff (including tools for students)
- more advanced topics such as reporting bugs, contributing to Ubuntu,security, protecting your privacy,….
Feel free to bring your laptop. After the talk there will be an install party where you can get your laptop installed with Ubuntu, can get help, ask questions or talk to other people who are using Ubuntu. If you are new to Ubuntu this meeting is suitable for you :
- You are encouraged to ask everything you want to know related to Ubuntu.
- You can get help installing Ubuntu (make backups first)
- You can get help connecting to the wireless network of the university(MAASnet)
If you are an experienced Ubuntu user this meeting is also suitable for you :
- You will get to talk to other people who are using Ubuntu
- You might learn something new (contributing to Ubuntu, reporting bugs,tools you didn’t know about,…..)
- You can help asking relevant questions during the presentation.
- You can help new Ubuntu users at the install party.
If you need help connecting to the wireless network of the university of Maastricht (MAASnet) try to do the following before the meeting :
- make sure your system is fully updated
download your windows wireless driver from your manufacturer
type the following in the terminal to install a few packages :
sudo aptitude install linux-generic wpasupplicant ndisgtk
Relevant information : http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessNetworkOfUniversityOfMaastricht