This is an unoffical personal project.
I hereby announce this new forum section
What and why?
* This is a work in progress.
* If my guides have more exposure I can help more people and I get more relevant feedback.
* This resembles Automatix, Easy Ubuntu and Ubuntu Guide. But it has another focus.
* When compared to Automatix and Easy Ubuntu : I have a [B]personal[/B] preference to do things with HOWTO’s.
-the user can (still) easily choose not to do some parts
-the user reads,sees and learns what is happening
-I want to provide links to relevant documentation for further reading
* When compared to Ubuntu Guide :
– Ubuntu Customization Guide aims to be a quick start place for new forum/Ubuntu users while encouraging users to try to understand what they are doing.
– Ubuntu Guide recommends a different sources.list than I do.I include commented cipherfunk,wine and skype repositories. I try to integrate a conservative but useful selection of repositories. AFAIK a lot of people are using my sources.list. I try to keep it up to date it and I read the feedback in the discussion thread.
– I’m focusing on providing a useful (conservative) selection of Common Customizations.
* This is the most important guide for Ubuntu Customization Guide. This HOWTO focuses on the most common customizations suitable for average users. Ubuntu Customization Guide – Quick Start
FIRST STAGE : MAKING YOUR SOURCES.LIST READY
SECOND STAGE : MULTIMEDIA AND PROPRIETARY/RESTRICTED FORMATS
THIRD STAGE : OPTIONAL OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
FOURTH STAGE : OPTIONAL PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE
FIFTH STAGE : PERFORMANCE TWEAKS
SIXTH STAGE : PROPRIETARY BINARY VIDEODRIVERS
SEVENTH STAGE : REBOOT
* I’m going to improve my performance guide
* I have some other ideas for guides.