I recently bought a wireless router. A linksys wrt54gl which runs an open source linux based OS. See wikipedia It’s nice to know that people are working on alternative open source firmwares such as openwrt and dd-wrt. For now I will just keep using the default firmware. Maybe someday I’ll switch to openwrt or dd-wrt because I want a particular feature.
I’m searching for a good pci/usb card (for a desktop pc) which supports wpa2 through wpasupplicant. Maybe you can help me. Or maybe my search will help you.
I will prioritize my wishlist to be able to easier find a suitable card.
- pci or usb (pci is preferred)
- works without problems in Ubuntu Dapper
- opensource driver available with proper wpa support through wpasupplicant
- I prefer chipsets from companies which collaborate with the open source community on drivers
- proper wpa2 support using some driver through wpasupplicant
- 40 euros max
- proper wpa2 support through open source driver + wpasupplicant. would be very cool
- 802.11g support preferred
Some links :
These (atheros) models look best currently :
Topcom Skyracer Pro PCI 154 (108Mbps PCI)
Edimax EW-7325Ig (108Mbps, PCI)
Netgear WG311T (108Mbps, PCI)
D-Link DWL-G520 (108Mbps, PCI)
see http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility for details on these cards
List of wireless cards available in the netherlands :
I’m very much interested in opinions and experiences.Which wireless chipset would you choose ? Which wireless brand would you prefer ? Which wireless card would you choose ? Suggestions and help are welcome!