I have the following wishlist for my laptop :
- about 1200 euro (absolute max is 1300 euro)
- I don’t wish to pay for windows
- small and light laptop
- strong laptop of good quality
- needs to work perfectly with Ubuntu
- I want to be able to carry it everyday
- at most 14″ with (at least) 1200×800
- intel centrino
- T2300 Core Duo (Core 2 Duo T7200 if I wait long enough)
- intel 3945 ABG wireless (ipw3945)
- 2 GB DDR-2 667mhz ram (or at least 1 GB in 1 slot and 1 slot free)
- intel GMA 950 (or a newer intel model)
- 60GB 5400rpm (or better)
- cd-rw / dvd combodrive
- US international qwerty keyboard
- 6-9 cell battery 4400mAh
- I want this battery to last at least 1 year but preferably longer
- I want to be able to work at least 2.5 hours on this laptop
- warranty 1 year pickup and return for the Netherlands
- optional : small laptop sleeve/carrying bag
- optional : bluetooth
Two laptops which meet this wishlist are :
ahtec X20 (www.ahtec.net):
- I need to make sure it works perfectly with Ubuntu
- The battery life is probably less than the battery life of the MSI S262 (6 cell vs 8 cell, ahtec site reports 2 – 2,5 hours of battery life)
- This laptop (brand) isn’t very common.
- I need to find people who actually own it and see whether they are happy about it.
MSI S262 (for example http://www.alb-computer.de) :
- The black MSI 262 looks good, has nice specs and according to the wiki there are no major problems with it in Ubuntu.
- It’s possible to buy a MSI S262 without windows and with my specification wishlist. MSI sells barebones to companies who build their laptops with it. There are some people who have some problems with these machines.
The forum thread about my laptop search.
The dutch forum thread about my laptop search
A dutch forum thread about 12″ laptops (not ubuntu specific)
A dutch forum thread about MSI laptops (not ubuntu specific)
I’m very interested in your experience with these laptops. I’m very interested in suggestions for similar laptops.
Thanks for all your feedback!