Scott James Remnant says on bug 6367 :
Officially marking as Rejected for dapper.
Here is the reasoning:
– We applied the “fix”, as planned, to the udev in Edgy Eft.
– While the fix corrected the problem described here, it caused new problems. Because it was a fundamental change to device ordering, it changed the order of other devices where more than one existed in the system — including other disks
– For Edgy this was not a problem, as the upgrade makes other changes that make device order non-important anyway
– These changes are too invasive for backporting to dapper
– This bug has a known workaround, which can be applied by the minority of users affected by it
– That workaround is preferable to causing far more working systems to cease functioning.
read more about bug 6367
an earlier blog post about this
Scott thanks for this information. I will post this in the forum threads about this bug.